I have a freckle on my arm that Jacob likes to touch when I'm changing him. This morning he was trying to say "freckle." He said it over and over and over again. It was really cute! Then he helped me take some things out of the dryer. Then he entertained me while I straightened my hair. He likes to play with my makeup bag (he can't open it yet) and brush his hair. It's pretty funny. When we were saying goodbye, he was about to get into the shower with Brian. I asked him for a kiss, and he gave me one of those HUGE kisses with his mouth open (he never does that). I thought it was funny and started laughing, so I got about 3 more.
Last night we were playing with stuffed animals. He was trying to say tigger, brown bear, and polar bear. It's the first time he's tried to put two words together.
This morning, Brian went in to wake him up. Not to my surprise, in a few minutes Brian was in our bathroom to tell me that Jacob wanted me. So I follow Brian, and Jacob immediately starts doing his sign for stinky (he usually does this when I put him on the changing table in the morning). So I asked if he had gone poopoo, and he did not respond. Then I notice that he is pointing to his bed and doing his stinky sign. Then Brian and I notice dark spots on his bed (we only had a small lamp on at this time. The big light went on immediately after that). Sure enough, there was poop all over his bed although it's not the worst I've ever seen it.
So Brian leaves the room to get a glass of milk for Jacob, and I lay him on the changing table. There was a little bit of poop on his shirt, but it really wasn't that bad. And I said something like, "How is it not all over your hands?" So Jacob showed me his hands. OMG...it totally grossed me out! His right hand had poop all over it that I had not noticed yet. So I get him off of the changing table and carry him around the house to get a stool from the utility room and then to the bathroom to wash his hands. Anyway, it was even a bigger mess when I took off his pants (I'll spare you more details...I know this is disgusting!)
The kicker of the whole deal is that I had been poking around all morning. We all have a cold, and I've slept maybe 30 minutes since about 3:15 this morning because my nose is congested. So I was planning to get ready while Jacob played in the bathroom waiting to take a shower with Brian. With the most recent poop-fest, all of those plans went right out the window. I seriously look like I just rolled out of bed, threw my hair back, put on some clothes (that part is dolled up a bit with my new awesome boots) and walked out the door. I was on time to work today, so that's a plus!
Thanksgiving was great! We hosted it again this year. I love to do that! On Thursday we had a total of 7 adults and Jacob (and Sirius, Jacob's cousin). Like last year, I made a ton of food. Everyone seemed to have a good time. On Saturday we had 7 more adults over and Jacob for dinner. By the time everyone left on Saturday we had no more leftovers!
I spent some of the weekend visiting my mom at the hospital. She had surgery, and everything went really well. She went home on Monday which was 2 days earlier than they originally expected.
I also started Christmas shopping. I took Jacob with me because he was being quite a mess for his dad. We had a good time! He is so good for me when I take him out.
And finally, on Monday, we went to the doctor to learn the sex of the baby. We're having another boy!! This means we are going to get bunk beds for Jacob and the boys will eventually share a room. We have not named the little guy yet; it has been much more difficult with this one for some reason. I'll definitely let you know when we get there.
In Jacob news, he has learned what a dolphin says and what Santa says. Last night we were sharing milk with Santa. It was so much fun!
I was going to post some pictures of the baby, but they are scanning in very tiny. Since I'm at work (and this is all I have worked on today), I should probably get to work for a little while. Maybe after lunch I can post some pics. ttfn!
- Saturday night he started to say "Bye bye." We were out to eat, and he practiced about halfway home.
- He will point to my belly and say "baby." Then he usually gives the baby a kiss. The other night, he began to look for my belly button when I asked him if he could say hi to the baby. Of course, my belly button is huge right now. He was playfully hitting my belly button, and I said "boing," so then he started to say "boing."
- Elephant - When we ask him what an elephant says, he raises his arm above his head and squeals.
- Dinosaur - When we ask him what a dinosaur says, he roars (exactly like he does his lion).
- Cat - When we ask him what the cat says, he meows really weird. He starts off very low and slowly raises his voice to a squeal. We've been trying to get it on video.
- Frog - For this, he will bend down and pop back up and make a growling noise (for ribbit).
- Shark - This is my favorite! I think I mentioned in a previous blog that we sing the Jaws theme for a shark. So now Jacob will put his shark puppet on his hand and say "na na.....na na.....na na." It's funny because he's not singing it like we do; he just says it and walks towards you with the shark puppet on his hand before he attacks. We've attempted to video this twice, but have failed....miserably.
- Jacob likes for me to tell him he is stinky anytime I change his diaper. He gets upset if I am unable to wave my hand in front of my nose and say "stinky" throughout the entire diaper change. I think he learned this at daycare.
- And I think Jacob is starting the terrible twos. He has been in such a crummy mood the last few nights. He whines a lot and does not follow directions as well. I'm sure the worst is to come; I'm glad I'm already expecting another child.
- New Baby Note: We are supposed to find out the sex of the baby on December 1!!!!! I'm thinking more and more that it might be a boy. I've felt better about myself the last couple of days which makes me feel better entirely. I'll post those pictures as soon as I get them scanned!!
Big John, Mary Sue, Jacob, Carrie, Russell
Jacob, Carrie, Russell
Mary Sue, Jacob, Carrie, Big Papa
Playing keep away with Uncle Derek
at Art & Sandy's place
Passed out after our Kaufman visit
So I finally started cooking dinner, and Brian and Jacob got home. Brian messed with the ants, and Jacob hung out with me while I finished with dinner. Then we all sat down together. Brian and I talked about my work, and Jacob tried to take off his shirt. It was so funny to watch him. He could get one arm out, but he couldn't figure out how to get the shirt over his head.
Then we all took a walk together to get the mail. It is a perfect night tonight. The moon is full and the temperature is great! So we decided to walk around the neighborhood. Jacob wanted to hold my hand the entire time...at least until Brian decided he needed to venture out a little on his own. Then it became a chase Daddy game.
Then we played inside. Jacob has a shark puppet and a dragon puppet. He will chase us with the shark puppet when we sing the Jaws theme. Brian started to chase Jacob with the dragon puppet, so Jacob lost interest in his chasing game. Then Jacob impressed us both by practicing his hook 'em sign. That's right...he's a Texas fan! He's almost got it perfectly with his right hand. Jacob did not want to read books or listen to Brian sing a song tonight before bedtime, and he went down peacefully. So everyone was in a great mood and there were no time-outs or whining tonight. It was perfect!
Our weekend was so busy! My parents hosted a party for my grandmother's 80th birthday. It was a surprise for her, and we surprisingly pulled it off! The party was great! I'm sure Jacob learned his new trick from his older cousins at the party. I was pretty worthless on Sunday, and in a horrible mood yesterday. I'm never in a bad mood for the entire day. Let's just blame the crazy pregnant hormones. :)
I'll post pictures of the Kaufman trip tonight.
taking in the pumpkin patch
trying to pick up a very big pumpkin!
with Auntie Em
We have had a full few days. Brian and I did not go out Monday night. We hung out at the house with Jacob and let him practice wearing his shark costume for Halloween. He likes for us to chase him around the house with the costume, but he does not really care to wear it.
Today Jacob woke up at 7:30. That is pretty late for him! I love it when he sleeps in on Sunday! We had breakfast and then ran a few errands. It is Jacob's week to bring some sensory items to daycare. It was the perfect excuse for me to pick up a few home decor items at Michaels. Then we went to the grocery store, had lunch at home, and took a short nap together. I love taking naps with him! When we woke up from the nap, the Chicago/Atlanta football game was on. Jacob could hear the crowd clapping in the background, so he immediately started clapping and smiling. We were both a little cranky after our nap because we were hungry! So I put him in a highchair and gave him a snack. The Cowboy game was just about to start, so I was telling him about the Cowboys and what a good team they are this year. Then we watched Arizona return the opening kickoff for a touchdown, and I had to explain to Jacob that that was a bad example of how the Cowboys usually play. This evening we took a walk. We've been doing that more and more because the weather has been so nice! There is a boy in the neighborhood who is about 6 weeks younger than Jacob. There were also a few neighborhood dogs out for a walk, so Jacob went crazy over the puppies. Then the two boys were trying to talk to each other. It was really cute! I had a great weekend with Jacob! By the way, Brian has been working a lot! I think he's almost finished with his project. I hope so anyway! He's so much help with Jacob. Tomorrow is his birthday. Happy Birthday Brian!